Does Medicare Cover Hoyer Lifts? A Guide to Assisted Living at Home

As we age, the desire to continue living independently in the comfort of our own homes is a common goal shared by many. This not only provides a sense of familiarity but also offers numerous health and financial benefits. In this guide, we’ll explore the possibility of aging in place with a focus on mobility challenges and the role of Hoyer lifts in maintaining independence. We’ll also discuss whether Medicare provides coverage for these essential devices.

The Advantages of Aging in Place:
Statistics reveal that aging in one’s home, rather than in a nursing care facility, significantly enhances one’s quality of life. Physical health is often better due to reduced exposure to infections and viruses, while mental health benefits from the reduced stress of familiar surroundings. Additionally, the financial burden associated with nursing home care is alleviated when home care is a viable option.

Challenges of Mobility:
However, aging in place can pose challenges for individuals with mobility issues. For those who require assistance getting out of bed, standing, or moving to different locations within the home, the task may be daunting. Fortunately, Hoyer lifts offer a solution by facilitating safe transfers, enabling individuals to maintain their independence and age in place.

Understanding Hoyer Lifts:
The term “Hoyer” is synonymous with patient lifts, a critical category of devices designed to aid individuals with limited mobility. These mechanical or hydraulic lifts assist in transferring people from one location to another, commonly from a bed to a chair, wheelchair, or commode, and vice versa.

Eligibility for Medicare Coverage of Patient Lifts:
Medicare provides partial coverage for manual full-body or stand-assist lifts categorized as durable medical equipment (DME). To qualify for this coverage, certain conditions must be met:

  • A healthcare provider must prescribe the equipment.
  • The equipment must be rented or purchased from a supplier that accepts Medicare assignment. Electric lifts are not covered.

Medicare Coverage for Patient Lifts:
Medicare beneficiaries who have enrolled in Part B (medical insurance) are entitled to coverage for durable medical equipment. This coverage becomes accessible after paying the annual Part B deductible, which was $185.00 in 2019.

Medicare typically covers 80 percent of the approved cost of renting or purchasing the patient lift, while you are responsible for the remaining 20 percent. You have the choice to either rent or purchase the equipment.

If you opt for renting, Medicare covers the rental fees for 10 months. After this period, you have the option to buy the lift, which Medicare continues to partially cover. Maintenance expenses are also covered if you choose a supplier that accepts Medicare assignment.

If you decide not to purchase the patient lift, Medicare will make a total of 15 rental payments, after which you may continue rental payments, with the supplier responsible for maintenance.

Cost Considerations:
Manual hydraulic lifts typically cost between $730.00 and $980.00, depending on the model and the supplier. For Medicare recipients, coverage for durable medical equipment like Hoyer lifts can be a pivotal factor in allowing individuals to age in place rather than having to relocate to an assisted living facility.

Medicare’s coverage for patient lifts, including Hoyer lifts, serves as a lifeline for individuals with mobility challenges, making it possible for them to maintain their independence and continue living in the comfort of their own homes. Understanding the eligibility criteria and coverage details is essential for those seeking to make informed decisions about their healthcare and aging in place.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *